Studies in Irish craniology (Aran Islands, Co. Galway) : a paper read before the Royal Irish Academy, December 12, 1892 / by A.C. Haddon.
- Alfred Cort Haddon
- Date:
- 1893
Licence: Public Domain Mark
Credit: Studies in Irish craniology (Aran Islands, Co. Galway) : a paper read before the Royal Irish Academy, December 12, 1892 / by A.C. Haddon. Source: Wellcome Collection.
Provider: This material has been provided by The Royal College of Surgeons of England. The original may be consulted at The Royal College of Surgeons of England.
74/84 page 824
![improbable, that a Scottish clan had also settled there. The Scots had possession of Ireland many centuries before that period.” “ Archbishop Usher affirms that -Slngus, the first Christian King of Desmond or South Munster had bestowed the Isles of Aran on St. Einea, called also Endeus; and it does not appear that the learned Primate’s opinion has been contradicted.” -®ngus died about 490. “In 546, it was agreed between the Kings of Munster and Connaught that the islands of Ai’an were to acknowledge no superior or pay chief rent to any but their native princes. “In 1081, the Great Island was destroyed by the Danes, as the annalists of Inisfallen record. ‘ Arain na Naoimh do lusgadh le Lochlannaibh.’ “The old records of Galway attest that the inhabitants of that town were, from a remote period, on terms of close friendship and alliance with the Sept of Mac Teige O’Brien, hereditary lords of Aran; both parties being bound to give mutual aid in all cases of emergency. This league, however, did not save the islanders from the violence of the Lord Justice, Sir John D’Arcy, by plunder, fire, and sword in 1334. “ Late in the sixteenth century [1586] the O’Briens were expelled from the islands by the O’Elaherties of lar Connaught. Upon infor- mation of this transaction having been received by Queen Elizabeth, a commission issued, which declared that the islands belonged to her Majesty in right of her crown. She accordingly by letters-patent, dated 13th January, 1587, granted the entire to John Eawson, of Athlone, gentleman, and his heirs, on condition of his retaining con- stantly on the islands, twenty foot soldiers of the English nation.” The Corporation of Galway, ineffectually addressed the Queen on behalf of the Sept Mac Teige O’Brien of Aran as the temporal captains or lords of the islands of Aran “ time out of man’s memory.” Sir Kobuck Lynch of Galway next became proprietor of the islands. “In 1651, when the royal authority was fast declining, the Marquis of Clanricarde resolved to fortify these islands; where he placed 200 musketeers, with officers and a gunner, under command of Sir Bobert Lynch. The fort of Arkyn, in the great island, was soon after repaired and furnished with cannon, and by this means held out against the parliamentary forces near a year after the surrender of Galway. In December, 1651, the Irish routed in every other quarter, landed 700 men here in boats from lar-Connaught and Inis-Bophin. On the 9th of the following January 1300 foot, with a battering piece, were shipped from the bay of Galway to attack them. On the 13th the islands surrendered . . . The parliamentary forces, on taking](https://iiif.wellcomecollection.org/image/b22473178_0076.jp2/full/800%2C/0/default.jpg)


